A Bookish Adventure

I started this blog to document an extended trip to the US and UK in 2012, introducing children to my Alice-Miranda series. It's hard to believe that it's just on four years since we launched the first Alice-Miranda title - and now there are nine books out in Australia with another five still to come. When I first came up with the idea of this precocious seven and a quarter year old, I had no clue that she would take me on such an amazing journey, not only in Australia but also across the world. I visited 37 schools while we were away in 2012 and gave over 80 talks - it was fantastic. In 2013 I've been on lots of new adventures in the UK - visiting schools from London to Southampton, Lancashire, Scotland, Newcastle and back to London again. After that I headed off to meet readers in Singapore. In Australia I've been to Melbourne, Perth, Albany, Alice Springs and Brisbane. There's a new series too - about a gorgeous little girl called Clementine Rose. She and Alice-Miranda don't know each other yet, but they will soon.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Books in Homes Wiley Park Public School Presentation

On Monday I had the pleasure of visiting Wiley Park Public School for their Books In Homes Assembly.  This is a fabulous program which allows students to select books that they get to take home and keep.  Books are given at the end of Term 1, 2 and 4 just before the school holidays.  Librarian extraordinaire, Gillian Maugle is an inspiration.  She was responsible, with her students for making the Books In Homes mascot and her library is somewhere that you just want to be.

I had a ball talking to the K-2 students first then the 3-6 children.  They were engaged and attentive and it was a lot of fun.  I was so impressed to hear their diverse range of ambitions from doctors and paramedics to postal workers and policemen.

Congratulations to Books In Homes and the University of Western Sydney for their support of this fantastic initiative.  As you can see from the photos - the children were thrilled to receive their books.




No comments:

Post a Comment