A Bookish Adventure

I started this blog to document an extended trip to the US and UK in 2012, introducing children to my Alice-Miranda series. It's hard to believe that it's just on four years since we launched the first Alice-Miranda title - and now there are nine books out in Australia with another five still to come. When I first came up with the idea of this precocious seven and a quarter year old, I had no clue that she would take me on such an amazing journey, not only in Australia but also across the world. I visited 37 schools while we were away in 2012 and gave over 80 talks - it was fantastic. In 2013 I've been on lots of new adventures in the UK - visiting schools from London to Southampton, Lancashire, Scotland, Newcastle and back to London again. After that I headed off to meet readers in Singapore. In Australia I've been to Melbourne, Perth, Albany, Alice Springs and Brisbane. There's a new series too - about a gorgeous little girl called Clementine Rose. She and Alice-Miranda don't know each other yet, but they will soon.

Monday, February 4, 2013

Let the UK 2013 Tour Begin!

Hello from chilly London.  We arrived very early Thursday morning and have already spent a morning at beautiful Danes Hill School in Oxshott, Surrey on Friday.  It was such a pleasure working with the Year 5 students on the development of characters - part of a larger study they've been undertaking on narrative.   There were some seriously good writers too - wonderful ideas and voices that shone.  I am looking forward to seeing some of their finished work once they have a chance to bring all the elements of their stories together after half term. 

I've been working on Alice-Miranda Shines Bright too, so not much sightseeing, although I have spent two days working in the education centre of the V&A which allows for a few cultural interludes between writing stints.  We're staying in Chelsea on Sloane Avenue, a wonderful location, with The King's Road five minutes walk in one direction and South Kensington, the V&A, the Natural History Museum and a fantastic range of restaurants five minute walk in the other.  We have found a stunning cafe for breakfast in South Kensington where the coffee is giant sized.  And right at the minute I can't remember the name of it and it doesn't come up on the maps - will add later.




 

Tomorrow begins the tour with Random House Children's Books and we're off to a Charlotte House School in Hertfordshire.  I'm looking forward to meeting lots of readers and potential readers.  We'll also be taking Alice-Miranda with us so she can make new friends too.  She hasn't been out much yet!



No comments:

Post a Comment